11 May 2013

Catering

I was asking Timmy whether he wants to join the school food catering.
Here's our conversation:

Me: "Tim, do you want to join the school catering?"
Tim: "Hm? Why?"
Me: "So you can have variety of food."
Tim: "How much is it Mom?"
Me: "Rp. 12,000 per day."
Tim: "So, in one month, if for example it is Rp. 100, you'll pay 75, and I'll pay 25."
Me: "Hm? That's not fair."
Tim: "Yeah...but because you have more money than I do, Mom."
Me: "No... you don't have to pay at all Tim, I'll pay for you."
Tim: "No, it's okay Mom. I'll pay 50 and you'll pay 50."
Me: "No, Tim, if you want it, I'll pay for you. I'll show you the list tomorrow and you can choose which counter you like. I've preselected some and you can choose which one you want."
Tim: "No, it's okay Mom.  You need to save some money.  Later when you are old, you need money for you.  So, I'll pay some with my money, so you can save your money. And when you are old, you can use your money, and if by then your money is finished, I will give you some more money.  I'll be working when I grow up.  So, if your money is not enough, I can give you some."
Me: Oh...thank you Tim. That's nice of you.

When I show him the list, the next day,
Me: "Tim, here's the list."
He didn't even look at the menu from each counter and said:
Tim: "No, it's okay Mom. I don't need catering. I can just bring food from home, like now."
Me: "Why Tim?"
Tim: "So we can save some money, Mom."
Me: "Ok Tim"

Note to Timmy: 
Tim, thank you for your good thoughts of saving and giving me some of your money when I'm old.
That's very kind of you. I really appreciate your good thoughts.  We love you Tim.

Love,
Papa and Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment