05 February 2011

Chinese New Year

It was early in the morning, on the Chinese New Year day, when I wrapped the Angpao.
While I was half way doing it, Timmy woke up and asked me: "Mom, what game are you playing?"
Hahaha...he thought it was a game!

I told him what I did and asked whether he wanted to help me.
So, he did helped me fold the money and put it into the angpao.

Explained to him the denomination of the money...Rp. 20,000 and Rp. 50,000.
Me: "If we want to make Rp. 100,000, how many Rp. 20,000 do we need?"
Tim: counted it one by one..."twenty thousand, fourty thousand, sixty thousand, eighty thousand, one hundred thousand!!"
Me: "Good, so we need 5. How about if we use Rp. 50,000? How many do we need?"
Tim: "fifty thousand, one hundred thousand. Two!"

Then he found the big angpao and filled it with Rp. 20,000.
Tim:"Mom, there is still space! I can fill it with another. Let's add Rp. 50,000."
Me: "Oh...so that makes Rp. 70,000."
Tim: "I will add another Rp. 20,000. So, this angpao is Rp. 90,000. Mom, later this angpao is for me ya...."

Timmy has been hunting and waiting to buy Lexus miniature car...For a blog post about this, click here.
With each good behaviour, he earned a stamp. Each stamp worth Rp. 500,-. Every 5 stamps, I rewarded him with a sticker of his choice and gave him the money.
So far, he has earned Rp. 18,000.

When we were in the car, he asked me: "Mom, how much is 90 + 18?"
Me: "108."
Tim: "Oh...so my money is Rp. 108,000."
Tim: "Mom, how much is 39,500 + 39,500+ 39,500?"
Me: "118,500."
Tim: "Oh, so my money is not enough. If I have Rp. 120,000, then I will be able to buy 3 cars. 2 for me and 1 for Papa."

Timmy wanted to use his Angpao money to buy 1 car for Papa.
He really let Benny choose the type of car that Benny wanted.
Benny told him that he wanted Porsche Carrera GT and then purposely changed his mind to Mercedes SLK 350 Class. Timmy really didn't mind when Benny changed his mind. It was totally up to Benny.
That's sweet of him. :)

In the morning, we went to my grandma's place. By the time we wanted to go home, I asked Timmy to say goodbye to his great grandma. "Athai, ngai oi con e."
From there, we headed to my uncle's house for gathering with my dad's sides of family.
Timmy asked "Mom, where are we going?"
Me: "We are going to your grand uncle's place."
Tim: Mom, but I said 'Ngai oi con e' at great grandma's place. That means that we are going home. (He really wanted to go to the toystore and buy his car already!) hahahaha...

By the time we were done, we headed to the Mall, where Benny and Timmy went to the toy store while I went to the supermarket for quick grocery shopping.
The store keeper could recognize Timmy already. Since he went there often and checked his stock of his 'wished for Lexus' to see whether it's still available or not. :) But this time, he really buy it! Yeay!

Benny told me that Timmy was determined to get the red Lexus IS300 and metallic blue Mercedes CL500. He then helped Benny to find his Mercedes SLK350 Class. "Papa, this is your Mercedes. We can't find the silver one. How about the red one instead? Red is good too."

Then, Timmy proudly walked towards the cashier and paid!

4 comments:

  1. Iya, gua ngomong khek kalo sama grandma doang. hehehehe...

    Eloe bisa bahasa khek juga Sis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nyokap ngomong khek. bokap hokkien. di rmh sih ngomongnya hokkien. khek gw bisa ngerti tp ga bs ngomong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kalo Mandarin bisa Sis?

    Di Australia banjir gimana Sis? Daerah rumah eloe gimana? Semoga ok-ok ya.

    ReplyDelete